Own a manufactured home?
Here’s how Golden State Manufactured-home Owners League can help:
December 5, 2018 Press Release on California Wildfires
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: With 33 mobile home parks in the Paradise area burned down, there are hundreds of displaced survivors. The Woolsey fire also left many mobile home owners homeless. The Golden State Manufactured Home Owners League (GSMOL) has determined that it is important these survivors know:
- They are entitled to reimbursement of their space rent for the month of November (minus the first 8 days) from their park owners.
- FEMA can provide funds to help buy another mobile home owners MUST REGISTER with FEMA by calling 800-621-3362
- FEMA will provide funds for essential household furnishings lost in the fire
- FEMA will provide emergency shelter at hotels registered on their list for up to 14 days, and in extraordinary situations, up to 18 months
- If park owners decide to convert the park, they must provide survivors with compensation to assist in relocation.
- GSMOL may apply for up to $200 for Disaster Relief Fund (contact me for guidelines and an application or to make a donation to the fund)
GSMOL encourages all those living in mobile home parks to prepare their parks for an emergency by ensuring the following:
- The park owner has an emergency exit plan for their park on file with the California Department of Housing and Community Services (HCD) and that is posted in common areas for all residents to see (mandated by Health & Safety regulation)
- Make sure that all emergency exits are unobstructed at all times
- Develop an emergency action plan for your park (GSMOL can provide guidelines for an effective plan)
- Make sure all residents are aware of the plan
- Submit a list of disabled residents that may need assistance in the event of an emergency to your local fire authority
- Maintain a fire-proof container that includes all important documents that can be carried out (moved) during an emergency
Michelle Smith, President,
Golden State Manufactured Home Owners League, Inc.
What is Golden State Manufactured-Home Owners League?
Golden State Manufactured-Home Owners League is a 501(c)4 nonprofit homeowner advocacy organization, dedicated to protecting the rights and quality of life of manufactured home owners. GSMOL educates home owners on their rights, solves problems for manufactured home communities throughout California, and supports legislative efforts, including improving the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL).
What do we do?
We support manufactured-home owners
GSMOL enhances the quality of life for all manufactured-home owners and for residents of manufactured-home communities throughout California. We champion the property rights of homeowners, and deliver value through advocacy, information and service. GSMOL lobbies for just and fair protection under the law for manufactured-home owners so they may experience the quiet, peaceful enjoyment of their community.
How do we do it?
Legislation – We work with the state legislature to pass bills that protect manufactured-home owners and to defeat harmful legislation; and we help homeowners work with their local governments to create and defend ordinances relating to manufactured homes.
Education – Through our magazine The Californian, our email list bulletins, Facebook, this website, local events such as Regional Conferences, and the work of our volunteer leaders, we help homeowners understand the laws that govern manufactured-home living, so that they will be less likely to be taken advantage of.
Litigation – We have a long history of supporting homeowners in important legal cases and assisting local jurisdictions faced with Court challenges to their Zoning and Rent Stabilization Ordinances. The landmark case Yee v. City of Escondido, decided by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1992, is just one example of many successful joint efforts.
Organization – We coordinate our members to form GSMOL Chapters in their parks, to work together with neighbor parks and local coalitions to benefit their communities, and to support the state bills that we sponsor.
Why do we need you?
We could not have accomplished all we have without the help of our members. The MRL (Mobilehome Residency Laws) would not exist, some city and county ordinances protecting manufactured-home owners would not have been adopted, and some manufactured-home- friendly state and local legislators and public officials might not have been elected.
We have much work to do. Those who would like to take away our rights and the value of our homes have deeper pockets and greater power, but there are more of us, if we work together!
Your membership gives us strength in numbers, and supports most of the work that is outlined above. Your connection to other members in your park and community will help to accomplish both our goals and yours! You can join online, or contact your nearest GSMOL leader, or call the Home Office at 800-888-1727.