GSMOL is a nonprofit advocacy organization, dedicated to protecting the rights and quality of life of manufactured home owners. GSMOL educates homeowners on their rights, helps to solve problems for MH communities throughout California, and supports legislative efforts for the benefit of MH owners.
Regarding the resident ownership of manufactured home parks, GSMOL believes:
(1) Resident ownership of MH parks is a very positive goal, for many reasons. Properly done, converting the park where you live to resident ownership:
- Stabilizes your monthly housing expenses over the long term;
- Secures the value of your homes;
- Avoids the consequences if local rent control is ever lost or compromised;
- Makes your homes easier to sell;
- Builds your park into a real community and improves its quality of life;
- Protects your park from ever being closed or changed to another use.
(2) The best approach is to incorporate your HOA as a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation. This corporation will own the park’s real estate when the purchase is complete. Homeowners are issued membership shares by the corporation. A board of directors (elected by the homeowners) decides park policies. The corporation hires a professional property management company to manage park operations day-to-day.
(3) The best way to start toward resident ownership is to send a letter to your park owner. The letter asks the owner to consider your resident group as a potential buyer. The letter also preserves your group’s right to notice, if the park is to be sold (Civil Code §798.80).
Every MHP resident group situation is different. What you say in the letter should maximize your chances of getting the park owner engaged. Contact me directly by e-mail or with a call to 831-688-1293. We can discuss your group’s situation, and determine the best content for your letter to the park owner.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Please see the Frequently Asked Questions, below. As always, if you have any questions regarding resident-owned MH communities, feel free to contact me directly. You can send me an email here, or, give me a call on (831) 688-1293.
GSMOL VP – Resident-Owned MH Communities