Select Page

How Can We Help?

< Back

All these laws may apply, but whether they do in a particular park depends upon the circumstances in each case and may require consultation with an attorney. Therefore, the following answer is only intended to have general

Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL). For a resident-owned park, Article 9 of the MRL, governing the relationship between residents and the park management (Civil Code §799 et. seq.), applies only to residents who have an ownership interest in the park, while Articles 1 through 8 (Sections 798 – 798.88), relating to rental parks, apply to any non-owning residents who continue to rent or lease their spaces in a resident-owned park. However, if the park is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation and no subdivision declaration or condominium plan has been recorded then Articles 1 through 8 apply to the owning residents in the park.

Mobilehome Parks Act (Health & Safety Code 18200-18700). The MPA governs health and safety (building) code requirements for both rental parks and resident-owned parks that were converted from formerly rental parks, but the MPA in most cases does not apply to resident-owned parks that were originally developed as manufactured housing subdivisions or communities under local development standards, not rental parks.

Non-Profit Mutual Benefit Corporation Law (Corp. Code §7110, et. seq.). This law applies to a non-profit corporation which is a homeowners association that operates or governs a multiple residential community for the mutual benefit of the members of the association. However, the Corporations Code does not apply to unincorporated homeowners associations that operate such communities, of which there are estimated to be but a few.

Davis-Stirling Common Interest Development Act (Civil Code 4000-6150). This Act defines and regulates common interest developments (CIDs), including many resident-owned parks. In order to be a CID subject to the requirements of the Davis-Stirling Act, the park must 1) have a common area or common areas (such as roads, a club house, or other commonly used facilities) in addition to individual interests or residences, and 2) file with the county recorder a declaration of intent to create a CID along with a condominium plan, if applicable, or a final map or parcel map, if applicable, for the CID. In most cases where a resident-owned park is a condominium, planned unit development (PUD), or subdivision, the Davis-Stirling Act will apply. However, non-profit stock cooperatives or other resident-owned parks that are not subdivisions or condominiums may also be subject to the Davis-Stirling Act if a simple declaration creating the CID is recorded. Without the recording of such a declaration, however, the Davis-Stirling Act does not apply.

● Different laws apply depending upon the form of ownership. Check with an attorney.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support